Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Did You Not Tell Them They Were the Lord's Chips?

Dearest Family!

Wow! It sounds like this week is going to be super exciting! I think there ought to be an activity in there called missionary writing time :) Yeah? I love letters! *cough cough* And pictures! I expect a bunch of pictures of all this stuff going on! I am slightly sad to be missing all of it but I am more than happy to be out here serving the Lord! The couple in our ward is not married yet, it is going to take a little bit of time. It was a rather rough week last week and it kind of bled over into this week. We started out and I have no idea where our teaching pool went. They disappeared and dropped us. So we worked really hard this week! We contacted a lot of formers and tracted a ton because we didn't have many teaching appointments.
Tuesday was actually really good. We started of our day by having ice cream with a less active youth in our ward, Meghan. She decided quite a while ago that church just wasn't for her. This last week they had a youth conference though that she went to. It sounded quite amazing and I can't believe I have never heard of anything like it before. This man in our ward planned it and he is brilliant! The idea was to do something like the pioneer trek but for the Book of Mormon. We do treks to remember our heritage and make it more real. He made the Book of Mormon come to life. It changed so many youth's lives! They did the iron rod, realistic Book of Mormon battle sequences and Christ coming to America. The most amazing thing was the Christ coming to America. They had the youth blindfolded and led blindly to this wall/amphitheater thing. They had a 15 minute audio presentation of 2 Nephi 9 and 10 with the storms and winds over loud speaker. Then they had the kids take of there blindfold and this man dressed like Jesus was on the wall and we stretched forth his hand and all the youth just went to him. Apparently the make-up artist transformed him. Also the man in charge had him act very precisely as Christ would and it was just beautiful. All the youth and adults there are just raving about it. So while Meghan was there she had this feeling and like she said she felt like she was slapped with the feeling that she needed to read the Book of Mormon! And she is! She has been coming to church for 2 weeks in a row! So cool! Then we met with our investigator Dominique and wow. It is going to be interesting to see where that goes. Bottom line we were worried she'd either be at our next appointment or in jail :) Don't really know what to do with her! She is coming to church next week though!
Wednesday we went and helped Marie and this is the 2nd week in row she has read from the BOM and received an answer by searching. It is pretty neat. We were working really hard all day to place a BOM and we just couldn't find one! We were going to a dinner appointment that we knew would take up the rest of our night. We go to the dinner appointment and she suggested we knock on 2 of her neighbors doors! It is 8:50 and we knock on the first door. Not interested, wouldn't even take a card. Knock on the 2nd door and it is 8:58 and he took one! Wahoo! It was so cool! I got in the car and man, it was too much anxiety for me haha! I don't like cutting it that close but the Lord always pulls through!
Thursday was weekly planning and oh boy. I just go crazy! My body is not programmed to do one task for that long haha! We went to the Schroeders for dinner and oh boy! I just love them! We have such good conversations at their house. He is a Marine and is a sniper for them so he has so many crazy stories. He lived in Hong Kong with his sister for a year and that is actually where he was converted and the day after he was baptized he went sailing the route Marco Polo went and got chased by pirates. And of course I feel for his missionaries because he ups and leaves after baptism and they are freaking out hoping they don't lose him! But obviously he has stayed strong in the church. She is super cool too! She went on her mission in Italy and has a ton of cool stories too. I want to be their friend after my mission so bad! I am pathetic. Anyways we are actually going to their house today and doing laundry and hanging out there, that is why I am so early on the computers. We were contacting formers and we went to this house and the lady had moved but the lady who moved in took a BOM and scheduled with us the next day at 8 am! It was awesome and she was there! She has 3 kids under 2 so I was feeding them pass-a-long cards as Sister Packer taught ;) Sometimes that is why you have companions.
I don't know if I told you this but we had a church head quarters referral last week and we went there and the husband is catholic and the wife used to be a mormon. They weren't interested but invited us over to dinner this week. It was so fun. We found out she had us over because her birth daughter is a missionary too! And we found out a funny story about last week when we knocked on their door. We went walking up to the door when we heard a phone call. We didn't want them to pulled away by a call so we waited for like 2 minutes and we didn't knock but the husband came to the door anyways. Turned out the phone call was from their neighbor telling them it was the sister missionaries :) They call her their "Mrs. Crabtrees" (sp?) from Bewitched because she calls them anytime anything happens in the neighborhood. It made me laugh :) And it happened AGAIN that we had only ten minutes left in the day yet someone still magically appeared right before the end to give a BOM to! So cool!
So apparently missionaries out here get lots of naked people stories. We got our closest to that this week. We were knocking on doors and the first one we knock on it takes a while for the lady to get to the door. When she does she just kind of bursts out and comes outside. She has a button up shirt on that is not buttoned up...with nothing on underneath. And she is just holding it shut! It was sooo awkward to talk to her while she is doing this! Then she does up 1 button! Which is like the bottom button, so it isn't doing much good. She took a Book of Mormon though, so thats good! And to make it more awkward, she just walked into the computer lab we are in right now and we helped her with her computer haha! So funny!
Sunday was great! We had an amazing talk in church about gardening! You would have loved it! He talked about how you need good dirt and a fence to protect from the bunnies and deer and how you need to tie the fruit to something so it grows up. And he compared it beautifully to our spiritual life. How we can stand in holy places and build our defenses and tying ourselves to God. I wish I could get a copy of that talk! So good!
So bottom line of the week, it was hard but the Lord came through and blessed us beautifully! We found 5 new investigators! Which neither of us have ever found that many people before! The power of the Book of Mormon is just blowing my mind! Everyday I have so many miracles to be thankful for! I love being a missionary! It is just the best! I wouldn't trade it for anything! I have been reading the Ensigns like crazy! Sunday I had like a mind over load and now I just can't read anything, my mind is just burnt out! So many good things. I keep having conversations and I will say "I read something really cool about that! I don't where, I have read a ton of things lately but it was good!" And Sister Packer will just laugh. They had us get rid of board games so during every meal we would play Yahtzee as a stress reliever and now I just read enisgns. It is crazy. My mind hurts though I am gonna have to take a little break :) So sorry is this letter makes no sense my mind hurts :) But man! I wish I would have taken more advantage of these magazines! Thanks mom and dad for always making them available! I wish I would have read them more! I figured I have been binge reading them just like how I binge watch my TV shows, can't stop until I have read em all!
I love you all! I hope you have a fantastic week with the family this week! Give everyone hugs for me! I love them all and miss them! Have fun for me! Keep reading the Book of Mormon through all of the craziness! It will be your refuge of peace I promise! The Lord provides miracles when we read, I see them everyday!
I love you infinity to the power of infinity!
Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment